In this tutorial, we are going to learn about is Benefit of Design for Manufacturing (DFM).
Below are the best guideline which can reduce the cost & manufacturing of a product.
- Reduce the total number of parts – The reduction of the number of parts in a product is the best opportunity for reducing manufacturing costs, Less parts mean less purchase, inventory, handling, processing time, equipment, engineering time, assembly difficulty, service inspection, testing etc. Generally, It reduce the level of intensity of all activities related to the product during its entire life. A part which does not need to have relative motion with respect to other parts, it does not have to be made of a different material, or that would make the assembly of the other parts extremely difficult.
- Develop a modular design – The use of modules in product design simplifies manufacturing activities such as inspection, testing, assembly, purchasing, redesign, maintenance, service, and so on. One reason is that modules add versatility to product update in the redesign process, help run tests before the final assembly is put together, and allow the use of standard components to minimize product variations. However, the connection can be a limiting
- Use of standard components – Standard components are less expensive than custom made items. The high availability of these components reduces product lead times. Also, their reliability factors are well ascertained. Furthermore, the use of standard components refers to the production pressure to the supplier, relieving in part the manufactures’ concern of meeting production schedules.
- Design parts to be multi functions – Multi functional parts reduce the total number of parts in a design, thus obtaining the benefits given in rule : 1. Some examples are a part to act as both an electric conductor and as a structural member, or as a heat dissipating element and as a structural member. Also, there can be elements that besides their principal function have guiding, aligning, or self – fix-turing features to facilitate assembly, and/ or reflective surface to facilitate inspection, etc.
- Design parts for multi use – In manufacturing firm, different products can share parts which have been designed for multi use. These parts can have the same or different functions when used in different functions when used in different products. In order to do this, it is necessary to identify the parts that are suitable for multi use. The goal is to minimize the number of categories the variation within the categories and the number of design features within each variation. The goal is to minimize the number of design features within each variation. The result is a set of standard part families from which multi use parts are created. After organizing all the parts into part family. The production of a specific part belonging to a given part family would follow the manufacturing routing which has been set up for its family, skipping the operations which are not required for it. Furthermore, in design changes to existing products and especially in new product design, the standard multi use components should be used.
- Design for ease of fabrication – Select the optimum combination between the material and fabrication process to minimize the overall manufacturing cost. In general, final operation such as painting, polishing, finish marching, etc. should be avoided. Excessive tolerance, surface finish requirement, and so on is commonly found problems that result in higher than necessary production cost.
- Avoid separate fasteners – The use of fasteners increases the cost of manufacturing a part due to the handling and feeding operation which have to be performed. Beside the high cost of the equipment required for them, these operations are not 100% successful, so they contribute to reducing the overall manufacturing efficiency. In general, fastener should be avoided and replaced, for example, by using tabs or snaps fit.
- Minimize assembly direction – All parts should be assembled from one direction. If possible, the best way to add parts is from above, in a vertical direction, parallel to the gravitational direction.