In this tutorial, we are going to learn about USB (Universal Serial Bus) & Its Types.
USB (Universal Serial Bus):
It is invented by compact, Intel, Microsoft, IBM in 1996. It is standard which is used to peripherals to a computer. As per its name universal, The USB port is used to connect many different kinds of devices like keyboard, mice, camera , printer, scanners, external hard drivers, flash drives and it is also used to change device like cell phones. It is making connected devices easier configure and it’s also provide fast transfer rate. The USB is also hot swappable so that device can be connected or disconnected without turning off the computer. Certain smaller device can be powered by USB port without the need for additional power cable.
Types of USB:
- USB 1.0 – The first USB version was released in 1996 and its name starting with USB 1.0, Now USB 1.0 had a transfer speed of 1.5 megabits per second.
- USB 1.1 – The USB 1.1 versions was invented in 1998 and it had a transfer speed of 12 megabits per second.
- USB 2.0 – The USB 2.0 versions was invented in 2000, which is also known as high speed USB. And it had a transfer speed of 480 megabits per second.
- USB 3.0 – The USB 3.0 versions was invented in 2008, which is also known as super speed USB. And it had a transfer speed of 5 Gigabits per second. The high speed increase was meant for transferring large amounts of data, such as backing up to external hard drives.
- USB 3.1 – The USB 3.1 versions was invented in 2013, which is also known as super speed plus USB. And it had a transfer speed of 10 Gigabits per second which double of USB 3.0 data transfer speed.
- USB 3.2 – The USB 3.2 versions was invented in 2017, And it had a transfer speed of 20 Gigabits per second which double of USB 3.1 data transfer speed.
- USB 4.0 – The USB 4.0 versions was invented in 2019, and it had a transfer speed of 40 Gigabits per second which double of USB 3.2 data transfer speed.
Different speed of USB there is also different types of USB cables, connectors like USB cable, connector and port which used nowadays.
- USB Cable – USB cables will typically have two different connectors on each of a cable. They will have either type B or type C, with the type A connector on one end and B and C type connector on the other end. It is used in smaller device like camera and cell phone charger; it has types of Type B, Mini B, Micro B.
- USB C – It was invented in 2014, it was developed with the USB 3.1 standard. Today USB C mostly use in modern smart phones, external hard drive, tablet and laptop etc. A standard USB C type cable will have the same connector each end.